Tombs-Day Fall Wish-List - Part 1

For this Tombs-day post, I thought I would share my wish list for cemeteries that I want to visit this coming Fall season. In my opinion some cemeteries are just made for fall visits amongst the cool breeze and the bright colourful leaves. Some forested cemeteries harbour swarms of mosquitos and biting flies while others are in the middle of the countryside with the sun glaring down. Autumn offers cool breezes for hour-long treks through the headstones, along with fewer bugs. Probably the most marvelous part of all is colours of the changing leaves, set besides blue skies or brooding grey clouds, some branches gently sweeping over old headstones and walking paths. So no need for further explanation.... Here is my Fall cemetery wish list!

1. Mount Forest Cemetery, Mount Forest, ON.
This cemetery is a woodsy, old cemetery with winding paths and headstones as far as the eye can see. Headstones, old and new, pepper the lawn and some even creep up the sides of hills, standing alone on sharp inclines. The bugs were a major issue when visiting this cemetery last time, so I can't wait to slowly stroll through, warm coffee in hand, come the fall weather.
2. Harriston Cemetery, Harriston, ON.
This cemetery is one that I have been to many times before. My favourite thing about this cemetery is the beautiful, huge trees that line the property and the pathways, some probably older than the cemetery itself. I can only imagine what those old trees would like dressed up for fall, and I have yet to seeit for myself. This gorgeous cemetery also has two walking paths leading two and from the cemetery in opposite directions. I would love to take a walk down the paths with the leaves crunching under my feet. The cemetery is a bit secluded and at the end of a dead end road, ensuring a quiet and tranquil visit each time.
3. Tiger Dunlop Tomb, Goderich, ON.
This family burial plot is situated at the top of a high hill, with a pathway lined with trees and shrubs. When standing at the tomb you have a breath-taking view of the Maitland river connecting to Lake Huron amongst a valley of trees and greenery below. This view would be unmatched if it were full of fall colours. I would love to have a picnic on the adjoining trail where picnic benches have already been set up to give you the perfect view of the valley. The town of Goderich is not far from here and who's downtown square is home to a number of coffee shops and cafés...which is perfect as every headstone hunter needs their coffee. Goderich is also home to a number of other cemeteries which you could visit in the same day. Four cemeteries is one day is my record...so we will see if I can surpass that this fall!
Thanks for reading....part 2 of the wish list still to come! 🍂🪦🍂