Happy Tombs-Day! All about my local Headstone Hunt

Two years ago during the pandemic, I discovered a great annual event held by the Harriston Historical Society - The Headstone Hunt. Beginning in 2016, this headstone scavenger hunt in seeing it's 7th annual event this year in 2023! I first participated in the fall of 2021, though I missed last year's as I didn't realize the event was moved to late June to early August to coincide with Minto Township's summer event schedule.  Below is a screenshot of the event details, found www.harristonhistoricalsociety.com/events.

I greatly enjoyed the hunt in 2021 as it focused on veterans. Since it was in the fall it was a great way to learn about the local men and women who served in the wars in preparation for Rememberance Day (an important day in the Canadian calendar, held November 11). This year focused on Harriston Cemetery and a variety of historical plaques on the downtown strip in Harriston.

I braved the humidity and swarming mosquitoes to track down the headstones using the clues provided. It was a great time, though I found myself longing to be headstone hunting on a crisp fall day with a warm coffee in hand instead. 

Regardless of the humid, sticky temperatures, it was a gorgeous overcast day that brought spooky clouds at times and made for some great photos. 

I have been to Harriston Cemetery previously during a trek to find headstones of family members on my father's side, including my great grand parents, my great aunt and even my great-great-grandparents! It was nice to visit again to see other headstones and learn about other histories of the cemetery's residents.

The Harriston cemetery is at the end of a dead-end road (no pun intended) and is a shrouded in beautiful old trees. There is a creek that runs along the outside of the property which lends a fresh, earthy smell as you walk along the west side of the cemetery.

 
There are also two walking trails that lead you to or from the cemetery, one leading into town and the other leading to a side road just outside of Harriston. The cemetery is truly a wonderful place and I have been there in all seasons! Would definitely recommend to tombstone tourists, along with the local Headstone Hunt.

Thanks for stopping by!